Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cayleen's Tummy Bug

On Monday
night the 14th of March, Cayleen started throwing up and didn't stop until I
took her to the ER on Tuesday morning. She had thrown up 20 times in 15 hours
and kept nothing down. The docs gave her an anti-nausea pill, she perked up and
they handed her a Popsicle. Then, with a sugar rush, she began walking around
the hospital room and was a little chatter box, - they sent us home, no IV.
Around 6:30pm Tuesday night she went to bed and didn't get up until 3:30am
Wednesday morning to pee, she hadn't pee'd in 19 hours. She literally stayed in
bed all day Wednesday, getting up 2 times to pee and hadn't drunk very much.
She had a fever of 103.5 most of the day. I had to fight with her to get her to
take any fever meds or any more anti-nausea meds. By that night she had diarrhea
and would just cry out in agony. She wouldn't talk to me, or tell me what was
bothering her. She told me once that her legs hurt but at that time it didn't
make sense to me. She would just lay on her bed motionless, barely able to stay
awake. She had wanted nothing to eat or drink. She hadn't eaten since dinner on
Monday night. Around 1am Thursday morning, after talking to a friend I decided
to take her to the ER and I am glad I did, they basically looked at her and
started an IV and ran a blood sugar test, along with a chest x-ray and urine
sample and other blood tests, all before the Doc looked at her. They decided to
admit her and had to put her in an ambulance to transfer her to a hospital that
had a pediatrics wing. I had to follow her to the 2nd hospital, it was probably
the most heart breaking thing I had to do. I couldn't ride with her; I had to
drive my own car. I could see her face through the window of the ambulance; she
was so small; my little girl, but she was so brave. I told her before they took
her from me, to remember everything inside the ambulance so she could tell her
brothers all about it. We got to the 2nd hospital, they took her vitals and
finally around 5am we were able to go to sleep. The docs came in around 10 am and
decided to keep her on the IV and monitor her. I decided to go get my boys, my
friend said they were asking for me and for Cayleen, I picked them up and took
them to buy Cayleen some get better presents, they went a little overboard LOL.
They bought her a Mulan doll, a balloon and 2 other small Disney toys. Lex
walked into her hospital room and was so caring. He asked her several times,
are you ok, are you getting better, Cayleen I have missed you. Cayleen are you
ready to come home and be with us, how are you feeling? It warmed my heart to
have all my children with me during this scary time, it made me feel better
just to be with them, and I know that it really helped Cayleen to recover fast.
Throughout the day on Thursday I received endless texts and phone calls,
checking in on me and Cayleen. Dylan was speaking to his "higher-ups"
and finally at 5:30pm they told him that he could come home from work, they let
him miss 2 days of work. He rented a car and drove home, he got home around
midnight and the boys woke to find their daddy home, he got them dressed took
them to buy Cayleen flowers and met us at the hospital. It was such a relief to
see him and know he was there. That morning, Friday, the docs said that they
would take out her IV and as long as she would eat and drink for the next few
hours they would let her go home. She was ready we could tell, she was pretty
much back to normal and brought with her this sassy little attitude. Dylan told
her, you have to eat and drink so we can go be together at home as a family,
she said but I don't want to, I want to stay here and watch TV all day. I
really think she enjoyed all the attention that she got this past week, maybe a
little too much. She came home and colored on the wall and thought it was a
"cute" thing to do...I think she thought that because she was sick
she wouldn't get in trouble. LOL I am glad that she is well again. :) And well
for the most part Life is “Back-to-Normal around here
J

No comments:

Post a Comment